|Aids to Navigation:|
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, December 4, 2015
On Friday, December 4, USA Track & Field's Masters Committee awarded the 2018 USA Masters Indoor Track & Field Championships to Potomac Valley Track Club, by a vote of 41 to 22.
The club (www.pvtc.org) hosts the meet on Friday-Sunday, March 16-18, 2018, at Wayne K. Curry Prince George's Sports and Learning Complex, 8001 Sheriff Road, Landover, Maryland, adjacent to FedEx Field.
In 2009, PVTC hosted the masters indoor championships, and in 2013, PVTC and all other 100 clubs in the DC-MD-Northern VA region assisted Potomac Valley Association of USA Track & Field (PVA) to host the meet.
At the meets in 2013 in Landover and in 2015 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, PVTC won the team championship.
Local Organizing Committee chair Jerry Bookin-Weiner and James Pearce, both of Columbia, Maryland, presented the bid proposal to 55 committee delegates from all over the USA, meeting at USATF's national convention at Hyatt Regency Hotel in Houston, Texas.
Bookin-Weiner directed the meet in 2013. Pearce directed two national championship meets 25 years ago in his native Columbus, Ohio.
The driving factor in the decision was the excellent mass transit system in the DC area and the proximity of three local airports with airline ticket prices about half of the fares to Winston-Salem, from almost anywhere in the country.
The excellence of the Prince George's facility was another significant factor -- although the recently-built JDL Fast Track in Winston-Salem also hosted a world-class USATF Masters Indoor Championships meet in March 2015.
Per survey after 2013's meet directed by PVA, athletes loved Prince George's County's hospitality, and they enjoyed being treated like rock stars -- whether they finished first or last -- in the center of an arena that seats 5000.
Another factor was that Metro opens at 5 AM on Saturday, March 17, 2018, for Competitor Group's Rock 'n' Roll DC Marathon, so the meet at Landover can start early on that Saturday.
"Prince George's County has some of the best attractions in the country, said Bookin-Weiner during his presentation. "Besides the track, with plenty of adjacent parking and nearby hotels, with National Harbor and its casino, with University of Maryland, with two recreational vehicle areas at Buddy Attick Park in Greenbelt and Watkins Mill Park in Mitchellville, the County offers something for everyone. Our meet will be spectator-friendly, family-friendly, athete-friendly, and diversity-friendly. We set records for attendance in 2009 and 2013, and we plan to break our own record - anyone else's - in 2018."
Said PVA president Phil Barrett, "We fully support PVTC's bid, and we look forward to providing PVA's regionwide support. As always, this meet is all about the athletes and their families and friends."
Said Prince George's county executive Rushern L. Baker III, "It is my pleasure to welcome you to the USA Masters Indoor Track & Field Championship. I am delighted that we can provide the nation's best competition facilities, Wayne K. Curry Prince George's Sports and Learning Complex."
For more information, please contact
Local Organizing Committee chair
• Craig Chasse, president, PVTC (Happy Birthday!)
• Monte Evans, coach, Dale City Track Club
• Robert Havey, member, PVTC
• Hannah Phillips, member, PVTC
• Carlos Ramirez, assistant principal, Clarement Immersion School, Arlington Public Schools
• James Scarborough, member, PVTC
• Jay Jacob Wind, secretary, PVTC
• In 2015, we bid farewell to club membership secretary Don Riggs. Don was close to us all, reliable, responsible, unflappable. We will dearly miss him.
• Diane Pinn-Williams, beloved wife of competitor and announcer Chuck Williams
• USATF official Alfred Morris
• Frequent competitor and PVTC member Wain Barnes
• DC Road Runners Club member and race director Val Lewton Jr.
• USATF Masters Track & Field Committee treasurer Joy MacDonald | (Biography on www.MastersTrack.com), | (Photo)
• Washington Running Club member and Hecht's 10 Miler director Patrick Neary
• Olympic race walker Alan Price
• Pacers Running Stores founder James Christopher Farley Jr. | Obituary
• In 2014, we bid farewell to club members Norm Brand and Edward Seeger, and to Les Kinion and Judy Roth
• In 2013, we bid farewell to club members Scott Bentley, Carla Convery, and Tim Good
How do I register?
Can I enter by mail?
Should I enter by mail?
What do I do on race day?
How Do I Run a Race Using a Bib Number, not a timing chip?
How do I get to East Potomac Park Golf Course?
• Ed Barron Service Award: Art and Becky Klein | Photo | Photo | Photo
• Ray Gordon Outstanding Athlete: Charles Boyle | Photo
• Carl Schuler Outstanding Race Walker: Sheldon Contract | Photo
• President's Award for Special Service: Bernadette Flynn | Photo | Photo with Craig Chasse
• Ed Barron (8/1975-1/1978) • Sal Corrallo (1/1978-1/1981) • Rodney Johnson (1/1981-9/1983) • Francis Kelley (9/1983-4/1986) • Lynda M. Durfee (4/1986-1/1990)
• William Hillman (1/1990-1/1993) • Bob Briggs (1/1993-7/1993) • John Martin (7/1993-7/1994) • Charles Scott Bentley (7/1994-5/1997) • Sal Corrallo (5/1997-10/2002) • Craig Chasse (10/2002-present)
• Men's Throws Pentathlon
• Women's Throws Pentathlon
• Men's Pentathlon
• Women's Pentathlon
Other Links (not promoted, sponsored, or organized by PVTC)